Dear Parents and Students,
I hope that your summer vacation was filled with family adventures, celebrations and new discoveries. We are ready to launch into the 2017-18 school year with renewed energy as we continue to craft innovative and exciting learning experiences for our students. I invite you to follow School #8 on Twitter@FultonAve8 where we will continue to highlight our exciting learning experiences throughout the year. As we begin our journey I encourage you to use the #School8Love to tweet your excitement, glorious smiles and inspirational back to school photos. I can’t wait to see you again!
With summer coming to a close, our School 8 professional staff continues to prepare the building to ensure that we are ready for Opening Day on Tuesday, September 5th! In order to ensure that our first days run smoothly, I would like to review some established procedures to ensure a successful opening.
As always, the safety of our children and staff remains a top priority. Our front entrance will continue to be monitored by a state-of-the-art audio and video monitoring system. Visitors will need to ring a buzzer, share a picture ID, and speak into the microphone before gaining access to the locked front doors. Our hallway monitors, Mrs. Diane Schnabel and Mrs. Karen Schaefer are in the lobby of our school each day from 7:25 a.m. to 4:05 p.m. (including lunchtime). The school will be open for one extra hour until 4:05 p.m. After 4:05 p.m. the building will be locked and unavailable to students. We require everyone to sign into the building via the Main Lobby entrance only, wear a visitor’s badge and leave a photo ID.
OUR OFFICIAL SCHOOL HOURS-8:15 A.M. TO 3:05 P.M.
Students will be permitted into classrooms between 8:05 a.m., when the first bell rings and 8:15 a.m., when the official day begins. After the first day of school, students will be required to get a late pass from the lobby monitor if they arrive after the 8:15 a.m. bell. It is my expectation that students arrive NO LATER THAN 8:15 A.M. On time arrival ensures and limits interruptions to the instructional day. Only students arriving for the breakfast program at 7:30 a.m., clubs, music lessons, or extra help are permitted in school prior to 8:05 a.m.
TENTATIVE LUNCH SCHEDULE:
GRADE 1 11:10 A.M. TO 12:00 P.M.
GRADE 2 12:05 P.M. TO 12:55 P.M.
GRADE 3 12:10 P.M. TO 1:00 P.M.
GRADE 4 12:15 P.M. TO 1:05 P.M.
GRADE 5 11:07 A.M. TO 11:57 A.M.
GRADE 6 11:10 A.M. TO 12:00 P.M.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES-All staff will have clearly labeled signs and will meet the children outside on the first day of school!
- Grades 1-3: Meet on the front lawn along Fulton Avenue.
- Grade 4: Meet on the lawn near the courtyard along Vermont Avenue.
- Grades 5-6: Meet in the schoolyard/blacktop along Vermont Avenue.
After the first day of school, please use the following areas for students who walk and arrive to school by car.
- Grades 1-3: Enter via the main entrance on Fulton Avenue.
- Grades 4-6: Enter via the West Vermont Avenue entrance.
- Grade 1-All classes will exit through the Main Entrance on Fulton Avenue.
- Grade 2- In the afternoon, for dismissal, walkers in Mrs. Bagan and Mrs. Lynch’s classes will exit via the East Vermont Avenue exit. Mrs. Okun’s class will exit through the Main Entrance on Fulton Avenue.
- Grade 3- All classes will exit via the Main Entrance on Fulton Avenue.
- Grade 4-:All classes will dismiss via the auditorium exit into the schoolyard.
- Grade 5- Cassar and Ms. Blake’s walkers will dismiss via the West Vermont exit. Mrs. Lewitin and Mrs. Harris’ walkers will dismiss through the auditorium exit via the schoolyard.
- Grade 6- All classes will dismiss via the West Vermont exit
PROCEDURES FOR ARRIVAL BY CAR, STARTING ON Wednesday, September 6th:
As most of you know, we have a unique service offered by the PTA called the PTA Traffic Squad. Our volunteers help to foster a safe and quick method of helping children to exit cars in the morning between 8:05 – 8:15 a.m. Given the number of cars that drop-off students in the morning, we will continue to organize this service in the following way:
- Grades 1-3: Enter via the main entrance on Fulton Avenue using valet service along Fulton Avenue.
- Grades 4-6: Enter via the West Vermont Avenue entrance using valet service along Vermont Avenue.
- Carpools or Multiple Grades– Families are encouraged to make ONE drop off to either valet with the oldest student exiting with the youngest member of the family or carpool.
It is very important that drivers only make one drop-off. Otherwise, it will increase the congestion rather than reduce it. In addition, please review the following carefully:
- Stopping your car to release your child across Vermont Avenue going in the opposite direction between 8:05 – 8:15 a.m. is dangerous. Please do not attempt this.
- Children should walk using the crosswalk across Vermont Avenue or Fulton Avenue to reduce the risk of injury. Use the crossing guard as a helpful guide!
- I will have staff at the Vermont Avenue door and the Main Entrance. Please do not hold up the drop-off time by waiting and watching your child enter the building. If you feel you need to watch, please park your car a short distance away and walk your child to school.
- Kindness counts and our little ones are very observant. Please exercise patience. Thank a PTA Traffic Squad member!
- Making u-turns and double-parking around our school in the morning, afternoon and after club pick-ups creates a dangerous situation for all children.
Thank you in advance for following the outlined procedures to ensure that all children are safe.
BREAKFAST/LUNCH INFORMATION: Please carefully review, Myschoolbucks.com, an efficient and secure way to prepay for meals. This is a convenient and effective way to expand our service and ensure that your child participates in the school breakfast/lunch program. PRICE OF BREAKFAST $2.25 *** PRICE OF LUNCH $2.60
BREAKFAST BEGINS AT 7:30 A.M.
SAVE THE DATE: BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT WILL BE HELD September 19, 2017!
PARENT PHONE CALLS/CHANGE OF PLANS
In addition, we need your help in finalizing your child’s after-school plans at home to alleviate last minute phone calls at the end of the school day. Although emergencies do occur and if a dismissal change must be made after the start of the school day, please adhere to the established procedure: Parents who call during the day with any kind of dismissal change will be told that the pick-up of the child will be made in the Main Office.
The child will NOT be released from the office until he/she acknowledges the person picking him/her up. The purpose of this procedure:
- Adds another layer of safety to our dismissal procedures.
- Reduces the number of phone calls and avoids confusion.
In addition, any last minute change in the CARES PROGRAM must be received by email, fax or in person. Any change of lunch plans or dismissal plans must be preceded by a written note or email from a parent to the teacher with the date and signature of the parent. We will not release any child unless we have this in writing. Please finalize dismissal plans before the start of the school day. Following this procedure above is crucial as we work to dismiss over 430 students. Safety is our priority. Thank you for your cooperation!
I request your assistance as we limit the use of our office phone during the day. Please help your child establish the importance of advance preparation for lunch and musical instruments by teaching children them to prepare in advance. We will permit phone calls from the Main Office for medical issues, glasses, and other emergencies. Thank you for your partnership as we support this procedure together as we model the importance of social responsibility.
ENVISION MATH & READING STREET LANGUAGE ARTS PROGRAMS
Oceanside School District continues to utilize the Envision Math& Reading Street program in grades K-6. These programs offer an online version of all printed materials anytime, anywhere. You will continue to receive information that will enable you to login and access many valuable and digital resources in order to support learning at home.
SCHOOL MESSENGER NOTIFICATION
We will continue to utilize an automated phone and email system to inform you of important school and PTA events, snow emergencies and delayed openings. Please be sure to update your email address on all forms this year.
HEALTH & MEDICAL CONCERNS
Please feel free to call our school nurse, Mrs. Impastato, to discuss any medical or health question regarding medications, allergies, or any other health concern. Mrs. Impastato is an invaluable resource and can always be reached at 516-678-8505.
In order to help us handle lice effectively, please carefully check your child thoroughly before the first day of school. Remember, it is necessary to inform the school should this become an issue so that we can maintain a safe and healthy school environment. If there are any questions, please call Mrs. Impastato for advice beforehand.
If there are any questions, please feel free to call my office at 678-8503. With your support and partnership, we will continue a long tradition of educational excellence and community spirit for our students. As our front door says: “America’s Hope for the Future Passes Through These Doors.” I look forward to seeing everyone on opening day.
Laurie Welch Storch