Special Education & Other Special Programs


In accordance with the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, special education services are provided to a student who is identified as having an educational disability. The Committee on Special Education (CSE) is responsible for the referral, evaluation and placement of school-age students with educational disabilities. The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) has similar responsibilities for preschool youngsters, ages 3-5.The Oceanside School District provides a full continuum of special education and related services for school age students. Special education services may include resource room, consultant teacher, special class placements and integrated settings. Related services may include speech/language therapy, counseling, services for the deaf and hearing impaired, physical therapy and occupational therapy.Parents/Guardians who suspect that their child may have an educational disability and require special education services may initiate a referral by writing to the building principal or the Assistant Superintendent of Special Education and Pupil Services, 145 Merle Avenue, Oceanside, NY 11572.


Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act provides for reasonable accommodations for students who have a mental or physical disability that affects a major life function. Each school has a Section 504 Team, which is responsible for determining a student’s initial eligibility for accommodations and for periodically reviewing the student’s functioning to determine ongoing needs. Parents/Guardians who suspect their child may have a disability that requires Section 504 accommodations should initiate a referral in writing to the building principal. Questions about Section 504 and appeals of Section 504 decisions should be directed to the Assistant Superintendent for Special Education and Pupil Services, 145 Merle Avenue, Oceanside, NY 11572.